Comment on page
Port Reset and Power Cycle Sequence for iScan or HiScan, without an AutoLoader
- Make sure that the computer's local (C:) hard drive has free memory space and is not full.
- Check that the iScan is plugged in with no loose cables.
Use the Device Manager to clear the ports, shut down and restart the instrument and PC in the following order:
- 1.Close the iScan Control Software (ICS) and leave the iScan on. Use Task Manager to force-quit open programs, if necessary.
- 2.Launch Device Manager:
- Using the Windows Search, type 'Device Manager' and select it.
- Or, open Control Panel and select Device Manager.
- 3.In Device Manager, navigate to Ports (COM &LPT).
- 4.The amount of ports listed in Device Manager will depend on the model of PC connected to iScan:
Figure 1: Example of 18 Ports listed in Device Manager (DC Fortris A8202).
- 5.With the iScan turned on, start on the bottom of the port list, right-click on the port and select 'Uninstall Device'. (For example, start with (COM9) in Figure 1.)6. Repeat this process to uninstall all COM ports except for Communication Port (COM1) and Phoenix Serial Port (typically COM 3 or COM7).
Figure 2: All ports removed, except for COM1 and Phoenix Serial Port
- 7.Turn the scanner off using the hard switch on the back of the instrument.
- 8.Uninstall remaining ports in Device Manager. (Sometimes ports will re-populate when the scanner is shut off.)Figure 3: Example of ports re-populating after iScan is turned off. 9. Turn off the PC by selecting Shut Down from the Start menu and wait 3 minutes.
- 9.Restart the PC and let the computer fully reboot (~2 minutes). Note: The PC must be fully booted before turning on the iScan.
- 10.Turn the scanner on.
- 11.Open My Computer (File Explorer) and confirm that the iScan 'Archimedes'/'Do Not Eject' drive is detected. Note: This drive must be recognized by the PC before opening ICS.
- 12.Open Device Manager and confirm that the expected amount of ports are populated and there are no duplicate ports or unnumbered ports. For example, duplicate COM5 or a Communication Port without a COM#.
- 13.If there are missing ports or duplicate ports, repeat Steps 1-11.
- 14.Start ICS and scan the beadchips as needed.