Comment on page
Troubleshooting SIPDOWN Errors on the MiSeq
The MiSeq Control Software (MCS) will show a SIPDOWN error if the reagent sippers are not functioning or cannot lower to pierce the foil on the reagent cartridge.* This can be caused by physical obstruction (if the reagent cartridge is not fully inserted or is damaged), a hardware problem with the sipper assembly, or a communication error.
- When present, this error occurs before the run starts, when the sippers first lower, immediately after selecting the start button.
- This error can present in older versions of MCS as an Object Reference error.
**Troubleshooting steps:**1. Verify the reagent cartridge is fully inserted all the way to the back of the instrument chiller compartment.
- Remove the reagent cartridge and verify no damage to the exterior of the cartridge. Confirm the reagents are fully thawed*.
- Confirm if reagents foils are pierced.
- Store the reagent cartridge, PR2 buffer, and the current flow cell in the buffer in the fridge (4Â°C).
- 2.Power cycle* instrument to reset communications.
- 3.After MCS re-initialization, select post-run wash.
- 4.Perform the post-run wash with a previously used flow cell and the MiSeq wash cartridge.
- Often, the run can be re-started with the same consumables. However, if those consumables are used to complete the post run wash prior to reloading, the run will fail.
- The post-run wash MUST be completed with previously used consumables and/or wash specific consumables.
- 5.If there is no indication of damage to the reagent cartridge, and the post-run wash completes successfully, restart the run with the same consumables.
For further information, search for the following Knowledge Base articles:* Troubleshooting Sipdown Errors on the MiSeq Video.
- *Reagent Stability and Thawing Guidelines for MiSeq Sequencing Kits
- *How to Shut down or power cycle the MiSeq.
- *How to Power Cycle the MiSeq Video.
- Wash best practices for MiSeq.