Comment on page
Windows 7 ESU licenses are available for Illumina systems running Windows 7 Professional
Microsoft is ending support of the Windows 7 operating system (OS). The end of support (EOS) date for Windows 7 Professional is January 14, 2020. This bulletin provides information and installation instructions regarding Windows 7 Professional extended security update (ESU).
Many Illumina instruments run Windows 7 Embedded which is a different OS than Windows 7 Professional. Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 Embedded systems on October 13, 2020. Illumina systems running Windows 7 Embedded continue to be supported directly by Microsoft until that date and are not compatible with the current ESU release. Illumina will provide a different ESU for Windows Embedded systems in October 2020. Most Illumina systems will also have the option to upgrade to Windows 10. Refer to the Illumina Windows 10 Upgrades support page for more detail.
Install the Windows 7 Professional ESU:
- 1.Confirm that the system is running the Windows 7 Professional OS before applying the ESU.
- To verify the Windows version:
- If the system is running the Windows 7 Embedded OS, no further action is required at this time. It is still supported by Microsoft until October 2020.
- 2.Install the four required security patches before applying the ESU update. Consult your organizationâ€™s IT support team for guidance with applying the security patches as described below:
- The ESU update cannot be completed if these four security patches are not first installed.
- Local system administrator rights are required to install these security patches.
- By default, Windows Update service is disabled on Illumina systems. Ensure that this service is set to allow Manual updates before installing these updates. Guidance is available on the Windows ESU Prerequisites page linked above.
- If any of these patches were previously installed, the OS will advise that the patch had already been installed. It is recommended to attempt installation of all four patches in case one or more have not been previously installed.
- 3.Get the Windows 7 Professional ESU license key:
- Include the instrument serial number(s) for each instrument that requires the ESU key.
- The ESU license key is provided as an alphanumeric string as follows: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX -XXXXX-XXXXX
- 4.Install the ESU update:
- During the installation process, a window will pop up with an Activation ID. Because it is not possible to copy and paste this Activation ID, either write down or take a photo or screenshot of the Activation ID.
- The ESU activation will succeed only if the Activation ID is input exactly as shown.
Last modified 11d ago